The Consett Timeline
This is a Consett Time-Line that can be developed: the opening of a particular building, a CIU Club, School…the list is endless.
I would like to thank the same source as the Collieries List for the information.
This is inter-active. Please send me some important Consett dates!!
-Sword makers arrived from Germany.
-Sword makers took up residency in Shotley Bridge and made the first Steel in the area.
-Acquisition of land for Paper Mill.
-The Brooms Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary and Joseph church and presbytery were built.
-John Annandale bought the Mill and transferred the whole site into a Paper Mill.
-Upper part of the Stanhope and Tyne Railways opened.
-Mr Richardson started Shotley Spa.
-Mr William Richardson met Mr John Nicholson, a local minerals expert, whilst taking waters at Shotley Spa. Their findings encouraged them to form a steel making company.
-Mr William Richardson, Mr John Nicholson and four others formed the Derwent Iron Company. Blast-furnaces were erected, and rolling mills laid down, the ironstone for the former being obtained from shafts sunk in the immediate neighborhood.
-Sinking of Medomsley and Derwent Pits (could be 1845).
-The British Schools building was erected (Top of Trafalgar Street). Property of the Iron Company. for many years were the only educational buildings in Consett.
-Shotley Grove School was built by Mrs Annandale to educate the children of the workmen from the Paper Mills.
-The Old Schoolhouse (Derwent Street) was erected.
-The first Wesleyan Church in Consett was built in Front Street. Later the Middle Street Methodist Church was built in 1893.
-The Baptist Church in Blackhill was erected.
-North Eastern railway Company took over the Stanhope and Tyne Railways opened. Rowley was the only station in North West Durham.
-The Shotley Bridge and Consett District Gas Company was formed (June).
-Erection of the Gasworks (December).
-PC Allinson – first policeman to be resident in the Consett District.
-Due to financial issues and the banks shareholders stepping-in, The Derwent and Consett Iron Company Limited was formed.
-St Mary’s Church in Blackhill was built.
-The Stockton and Darlington Railway Company agreed to give £50,000 per annum credit to the company for 3 years, with security of a mortgage on the works.
-Brooms school was built.
-The New Consett Iron Company Ltd was incorporated in order to acquire the works at Consett, Crookhall, and Bradley, consisting of 18 blast-furnaces, with puddling forges, extensive plate, angle and bar mills, and other adjuncts, producing 80,000 tons of pig iron per annum, and from 40,000 to 50,000 tons of finished iron. 500 acres of freehold land, attached to the Works, and more than 1000 freehold cottages, with manager’s house and offices, were included in the purchase, as well as coal royalties.
-The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in Consett.
-The Company gave up their direct connection with the schools in Consett, Blackhill and Leadgate.
-The Christ Church in Parliament Street was built.
-Castleside Parish Church was built.
-The new Brooms Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary and Joseph church was built.
-Water storage reservoir erected at Smiddy Shaw – 1 mile from Waskerley.
-Roman Catholic Schools in Consett were opened. St Patricks was one of them.
-The Education Act.
-Consett County Police Station was built in Parliament Street.
-The Salvation Army movement began in Consett.
-The company was the largest maker of plate in the country; it employed 5000.
-The first ever Salvation Army Band in the World was formed in Consett.
-Wesleyan Schools (Gibson Street) were erected.
-The first Infirmary in Consett was built in Parliament Street. The Consett Iron Company was responsible for it and was exclusively for the use and benefit of the firm.
1881 – The popoulation of Consett c/o census 7,163
-William Jenkins started the change-over from Iron to Steel-making at Consett.
-Two small 13-ton Siemens furnaces were erected to make steel for ship building, soon followed by another 6.
-Consett Town Hall was built on the corner of Middle Street and Front Street.
-By 1882, in the Benfieldside area, there were five public and three adventure schools.
-The St Aiden’s Church in Blackhill was built.
1885-The Empire Palace (now Empire) completed.
-Police court and offices were erected.
1891 Blackhill and Consett Park opens.
Population c/o Census 8,175
-First record of telephones in Consett.
-After a visit to the works from the Iron and Steel Institute, the works were regarded as the having the finest rolling mills in the world. As well as supplying its own fuel, the works consisted of seven Blast Furnaces, the West and East Melting Shops, Cogging Mills, Plate Mills and Angle mills. The usual ancillaries were found at Crookhall Foundry, Delves Brickworks, Engineering Shops, Laboratory, Test House, Locomotive and Wagon Repair Shops and the railways and rolling stock.
-The first Consett telephone exchange was opened.
-The Benfieldside Tennis Club was formed.
-The Company obtained powers to construct three reservoirs at Hisehope, Eudon and Feldon Burns.
-The Leadgate Parish was formed.
-Consett UDC created. Ended in 1974
-Consett Railway Station, Delves lane, opened on August 17th by North Eastern Railways.
-The Salvation Army Hall was built in Consett
– Population 9,694
-The world’s first water ‘rapid gravity’ filter plant was built at Honey Hill.
Population 11, 207
-A drought hits the area.
-Northern General Transport Company began to operate, which would see a depot open at Consett.
-The YMCA hut in Sherburn Terrace was brought from Gosforth.
-Started rebuilding of steel mill by demolishing the old melting shop, which was finally brought into use in 1926.
-The company had 8 blast furnaces, 2 steel works, 4 plate finishing mills, with Cogging mills and 3 finishing sectional mills and cogging mill.
-Consett Branch Library opened.
-The Burnhope Reservoir was constructed.
-The Grove Methodist Church was built.
-The company collaborated with the government to finance a new steel company to establish steel works at Jarrow, the New Jarrow Steel Co.
-A new blast furnace was brought into operation.
-During WWII, The Company adapted to the demands for new types of steel, to use lower quality ores and to cope with reduction in output from its coal mines.
-The Coal industry Nationalisation Act. Under this act, the National Coal Board took over seven collieries (Victoria Pit, Chopwell, Garesfield, Langley Park, Eden, Medomsley and Derwent), the Derwenthaugh and Langley Park Coke Works, Crookhall Washery, and Power station at Derwenthaugh, Chopwell, Langley Park and Templetown, together with 3,000 houses, nearly 12,500 acres of land and over 50 miles of railway.
-The company acquired the whole of the share capital of New Jarrow Steel Co
-The introduction of the National Health Service.
-A new blast furnace was commissioned (no.1); the no.2 furnace was blown out for relining after 7+ years campaign.
ACCIDENT, CONSETT IRONWORKS COMPANY
Saturday 10 pm July 1st, 1950.
45 men were overcome by carbon monoxide and 11 men died.
– Consett Iron Company was nationalised by Clement Attlee’s Labour government into the short-lived Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain, along with all of Britain’s steelworks.
-The Company invested £22 million in developments.
-The Our Lady of the Rose church was built in Shotley Bridge.
-Gas making plant was shut down (November).
-The Church of St Pius X was built in Moorside.
-Public offer for sale of shares in Consett Iron Co by Holding and Realisation Agency.
Consett Railway Station closed.
-Templetown Power Station closed down.
-Purposely designed Post Office was built in Victoria Road.
-The new Hownsgill mill was opened which was targeted on the needs for steel plate of the shipbuilding industry
– Population 38, 944
– Consett Steel Works was renationalized by Harold Wilson’s government, into the British Steel Corporation, at a time when iron, coal and shipbuilding were all in steady decline in Britain
-The Consett Steel Works provided jobs for 6,000 workers at its peak in the 1960s.
1971 Population 36, 017
-British Steel Consett was closed.
-The unemployment rate in Consett hits 36% – twice the national average at the time.
1982 – Present day.
-Almost all traces of the steelworks have been removed. To this day there is no permanent museum to the history of the steelworks apart from a few pots that were used to transport molten pig iron from the blast furnaces to the steel plant, and the Terra Novalis sculptures, which are made with materials from the site. Employment returned to the area, with a more diversified industrial base.
1991 Population 20, 148
2001-Population 20, 659
2011-Population 27, 394